The three colorful looks in this post have a couple things in common.
- I wore them all to preschool drop-off in the last few days (the pink look at the top was from this morning!).
- I did all of them using the $29 LORAC Neon Lights palette.
In the Neon Lights palette, that yellow is more of a goldenrod, which I’m kind of disappointed by because I wish the palette had a lemon yellow… The goldenrood just isn’t yellow enough for me.
Wow, that’s something I never thought I’d ever say!
Say “what,” Karen? You’re not wearing a sh*t-ton of browns for once? LOL. Neutrals are normally my wheelhouse, it’s true. I usually default to them because they fit my my lowest energy state, ha ha ha! Plus, you can’t really muck up neutrals.
Still, I’ve been itching to wear more color. I’ve just been trying to think of ways to feel comfortable doing it, because as fun as bright, intense glittery looks are, I feel a little crazy wearing that kind of makeup when all I’m doing is bringing coywolf to school or toddler ballet class.
The colorful looks here are my speed because, even though there’s a bright focal point in every one, there are still subtle-ish elements, like the foundation.
Something Sam said in that ’90s makeup video I mentioned the other day resonated with me. To paraphrase, she said that it’s not the things you pile on that make a look look cool. It’s what you leave out, so I basically went super minimal on the base in all of these colorful looks.
I’ve also been VERY inspired by Katie Jane Hughes lately. She’s a makeup artist I follow on Instagram, and she is JUST SO DAMN GOOD. She’ll paint a delicate swish of sparkly green shadow or sketch a skinny slice of neon yellow liner, so you can tell she loves wearing color, but she also likes to go minimal with the base.
I’m a little obsessed with her at the moment!
LOOK 1: PINK SUMMER SUNSET
- Eyes: Bolt, Girls and Atomic eyeshadow from the LORAC Neon Brights Palette, Chanel Dimensions de Chanel Mascara, Maybelline Bold Brown Tattoo Studio Liner, IT Cosmetics Brow Power Micro in Universal Taupe, Urban Decay Yeyo liner (as a base)
- Base: MAC Next to Nothing Foundation in Medium Deep (all over, applied with fingers) and Estée Lauder Double Wear Foundation in Honey Bronze (patted with fingers on cheeks, nose, around the lips, and under the eyes)
- Lips: MAC Stripdown Lip Pencil and MAC Open Presence Lipstick
LOOK 2: BLUE NOTE
- Eyes: Indie and Blue Note eyeshadow from the LORAC Neon Brights Palette, Chanel Dimensions de Chanel Mascara, Maybelline Tattoo Studio Liner (gray shade), IT Cosmetics Brow Power Micro in Universal Taupe, Urban Decay Yeyo liner (as a base for the blue eyeshadow)
- Base: Tom Ford Traceless Liquid Foundation (all over, applied with fingers), MAC Sun-Soaked Strip Bronzer and MAC Sunbasque Blush (cheeks)
- Lips: MAC Stripdown Lip Pencil and MAC Smoked Almond Lipstick
LOOK 3: LEMON SLICE
- Eyes: Bolt and Atomic eyeshadow from the LORAC Neon Brights Palette, Chanel Dimensions de Chanel Mascara, Maybelline Bold Brown Tattoo Studio Liner, IT Cosmetics Brow Power Micro in Universal Taupe, Urban Decay Yeyo liner (as a base for the yellow eyeshadow)
- Base: Wander Beauty Nude Illusion in Golden Tan, bareMinerals Warmth Bronzer and bareMinerals Free Highlighter
- Lips: Chanel 166 Rouge Coco gloss
Would you try any of these looks? Inquiring minds want to know. 🙂
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,
Powered by WPeMatico